Ensuring Safe Gas Usage Across the Nation
At JTL, our dedication to training our apprentices in gas safety drives our enthusiasm for supporting Gas Safety Week 2023, scheduled from September 11th to 17th. This annual event raises awareness about gas safety and the importance of taking care of gas appliances.
Our apprentices go through rigorous training and develop the skills, knowledge, and behaviours they need to safely install, commission, decommission and service and repair gas appliances in either a domestic or non-domestic setting. Find out more about our Level 3 gas engineering apprenticeship qualification.
Gas Safety Week is organised by the Gas Safe Register, the official list of authorised gas engineers. We want everyone to know the fundamentals of staying gas safe.
Poorly installed or maintained gas appliances can lead to dangerous outcomes like gas leaks, fires, explosions, and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, taste, or smell.
Here’s what you can do to stay safe:
- Watch for warning signs of gas appliance issues, like yellow or orange flames instead of blue, strange noises from the boiler, or sooty stains around appliances.
- Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse, and loss of consciousness.
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm with the EN50291 mark and British Standards Kitemark.
- Don’t attempt DIY fixes on gas appliances or block vents. These can make appliances unsafe. If there’s a concern, direct them to you or a registered business at GasSafeRegister.co.uk.
- Schedule an annual gas safety check. A Gas Safe registered engineer should inspect and service gas appliances. If you’re a tenant, remember it’s your landlord’s responsibility to arrange this. You can set up free reminders at StayGasSafe.co.uk.
- Confirm the engineer you hire is Gas Safe registered and qualified for the job. This info can be found on the Gas Safe Register’s website or their ID card.
To find out more about this national campaign to help keep the nation gas safehttps://jtltraining.com/apprenticeships/courses/gas-engineering-operative-course/ GasSafetyWeek.co.uk.